DESIGNING A BOOK COVER
A book cover refers to the cover of any book or magazine.
To help the learner master the skills for craftsmanship in
To understand the processes involved and the procedures in
creating a book cover.
The learner will be able to identify the different ways he/she
can communicate to an audience through depicting the contents
of the book he/she is designing.
1. Choose a title of the book.
2. Analyse the title, brainstorming on the likely messages
that could be portrayed through it.
3. Research for ideas and information from other books, magazines,
CD ROMs, or the Internet.
4. Select the most suitable illustrations that will describe
the contents of the book you are designing for.
5. Assemble them creatively, either using a computer (if downloaded
from the Internet or CD ROMs) or scan them into the computer.
6. Choose an appropriate font style to use.
7. Combine the graphics and the lettering.
Vary the font sizes of the other text that will appear on
the cover. They shouldn't be the same size as the title.
Author name and publishing company should be clearly presented.
Decide on the type of book for which you which you would
like to design a cover. Choose the types of lettering that
will be appropriate, remembering the fact that simple, well-proportioned
letter forms and illustrations are appropriate.